Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Read! Read! Read!

Last week I contacted the Alzheimer's Association and received a booklet full of information. They are located at 3800 Shamrock Dr. in Charlotte. There is a 24 hr helpline. the number is 800. 272.3900. Their website is www.alz.org

The Alzheimer's Association will provide information about programs that are available locally as well as referrals for Adult day care, home care, and medical services.

I would like to encourage anyone going through this with a loved one to make the Alzheimer's Association your first stop after you receive a diagnosis from a medical professional.

I have some things I'd like to mention conversations to have and/or to think about:

1) Have a durable power of attorney (POA) drawn up before the patient is unable to act. I was able to do this through a legal plan that my job offers. I paid nothing out of pocket. The attorney came to my mother's apartment before she moved and did the paperwork there. It will save you a lot of time.

2) Contact your loved one's financial institutions and explain the situation to them. Having the durable POA will help you. Alzheimer patients will lose the ability to manage money and often hoard money in different places.

3) Discuss with your medical professional whether a senior center or adult daycare center is the right choice for your situation. Seniors at the center may operate at a higher level than your loved one so an adult daycare may be better for your situation.
The GP, geriatric psychiatrist, and social worker all agreed that Adult Daycare was the better choice for my mother.

4) Don't spend a lot of time thinking about what-ifs. I beat myself up because I didn't recognize what was happening with my Mom. I lived in another state.

Just remember, try to connect with a support group as soon as you can. You'll need it. Good luck and God bless.

No comments: