Thursday, May 21, 2009

No help available or is there?

I found the perfect place for my mother near the house. I went on a tour yesterday. it was clean, bright and well-staffed. prices ranged from $2500- $3400 per month. Guess what, we can't afford it.

My mother is a retiree who receives a pension which is over the Medicaid limit of $1580, so at this point I don't know what to do. My thought was to place her in the adult daycare at this facility, then transition her into long term care there. It would be familiar to her and she wouldn't be unnecessarily traumatized. So much for that.

They do have an adult day care program which is reasonable. It operates from 9-4 which means that someone other than me has to drive her back and forth because I work earlier hours. The facility provides lunch and 2 snacks, as well as games and trips. I think she would like it there.

The other facility I toured has hours that are more compatible with my schedule, but is slightly more expensive. We would not have enough to pay for her medications.

I wonder how many other families are in this dilemma?

No comments: