Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mom goes away...

I took my mom to meet her new geriatric practitioner. She is still in denial about her diagnosis and symptoms; and will not tell the doctor some of the things that she tells me about her nightmares, paranoia, hallucinations, and insomnia.

I usually have to mention these symptoms, especially as they seem to be getting worse. The result was an additional medication to help her sleep and something to calm the anxiety. This is something her doctors in Charleston suggested, but I didn't think she was ready. No, I meant that I wasn't ready to admit that my mother was at a stage where she needed anti-psychotics. The risks are scary as I mentioned before.

Alzheimer patients eventually get to the stage where they express their frustration through rage filled tantrum. They can no longer communicate, they way they used to and the rage is directed towards the person they see as the cause for everything that has happened and is happening to them...the caregiver.

I don't mean to imply that any of the behaviour is the my mother's fault. It's not, it is the disease as it progresses, mom goes away. This really sucks.

No comments: