Monday, December 13, 2004

Don't get stopped in Va

I just had the one of the most tramatic experiences of my life. I received the first speeding ticket in my 35 year driving history; hand-delivered by a young rookie type cop.
I wasn't able to get there on the original court date (November 8) so I had the thing postponed. Anyway, I received the letter Wednesday nite (December 8) advising me that my new court date is Monday December 13th @ 9 am in the town of Suffolk,Va. (A mere 5 hours away)
People, I live in Charlotte. I get my fanny up and leave my house at 3:30 am to arrive in time for my court date. As it turned out, I was not guilty due to mechanical failure so I had my certificate attesting to that.
After waiting approximately an hour and a half to get called. I found out that the cop didn't show up. The judge calls me and asks how do I plead, I say not guilty to speeding and explain that on the advice of counsel, I had my vehicle checked out mechanically and had equipment failure.
Instead of dismissing the whole thing, he reduces the mileage over the speed limit so "I don't have to come back up there again." I paid a $45 fine and court costs totalling $101
Dismissal would have meant me not having to come back again too.
Go figure. I leave court at 10:45 and drive back to Charlotte in my newly calibrated automobile at a sedate 55 in VA and 65-70 in NC. I made 1 stop for gas and 1 comfort stop arriving home at 4 PM. 13 frellin' hours for a damned speeding ticket!

No comments: